Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday Before Christmas in Chacala

It´s been overcast today, at least first thing in the morning. And now, about 4:30pm, it has clouded over again. We are still having cold nights, 62-64F lows. Ugh. 80Fs in the days.

More and more tourists are arriving. But I expect the bigger group will be Christmas Day, when families from Guadalajara and other mountain towns in Mexico will arrive in Chacala. Big families, camping for the week and filling up whatever rooms are available. Some of the rentals here are mostly rented by families. Big families who are comfortable squeezing in together for the night.

I love how families seem to be in Mexico. Of course, my fantasies are probably nothing to do with reality. But in four years I have only seen kids getting whacked a couple of times. Maybe three. In the US I was always hearing a whack and then a child´s scream in supermarkets and big box stores. Maybe I am not spending enough time in huge stores in Mexico. If I did, I might see the kind of child abuse-random violence I often saw in the U.S.

I still have the grippe. Last night and this morning were awful. Throat raw and burning, headache, and sneezing and constantly running nose. But the Mapaches or whatever they are stayed away. Or I slept through their visit.

This is the last or second to last night of the Posada, and I am headed off to find it. I am going to a local party tomorrow night and a gringo party Christmas afternoon. Should be interesting.

For the past few days there has been a huge, maybe 30 by 40 foot chunk of whale fat-flesh floating in and out on the tide down on the beach in front of Mar de Jade. Really gross, but not to smelly.

Must be the God´s gift to Chacala, paybacks for the continuing destruction of the natural environment here.

No comments: